A certified copy is defined as a copy of the original document certified to be a true and correct copy of the original, signed by an authorised person who can witness a Statutory Declaration.

Please note that the certification is required to be an original signature. Photocopies of the certification signature are not accepted.

The following documents may be used for identification and verification:


One of the following documents only:

  • current driver’s licence issued under State or Territory law; or a
  • passport


One of the following documents :

  • birth certificate or birth extract;
  • citizenship certificate issued by the Commonwealth; or a
  • pension card issued by Centrelink that entitles the person to financial benefits and one of the following documents:
    • letter from Centrelink regarding a Government assistance payment; or a
    • notice issued by Commonwealth, State or Territory within the past twelve months that contains your name and residential address. For example:
      • Tax Office Notice of Assessment; or
      • Rates or utilities notice from local council.

The following people are authorised to certify documents in Australia:

  • Health professions: Chiropractor, Dentist, Medical practitioner, Nurse, Optometrist, Pharmacist, Physiotherapist, Psychologist
  • Legal professions: Legal practitioner, Patent attorney, Trademarks attorney
  • Court positions: Bailiff, Justice of the Peace, Judge, Magistrate, Registrar or Deputy Registrar, Clerk, Master of a court, CEO of a Commonwealth court, Commissioner for Affidavits, or Commissioner for Declarations (dependent on jurisdictions)
  • Government representatives (elected): Federal, State or Territory or Local
  • Public servants: Federal, State or Territory or Local – employed for five years or more
  • Permanent employees of the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
  • Bank officer, building society officer, credit union officer, finance company officer – employed for five years or more
  • Veterinary surgeon
  • Accountant (member of ICA, ASA, NIA OR CPA, ATMA, NTAA)
  • Minister of religion or marriage celebrant
  • Member of: -Chartered Secretaries Australia-Engineers Australia (other than at the grade of student)
    • Australian Defence Force (an officer; or a non-commissioned officer with five or more years of continuous service; a warrant officer)
    • Australasian Institute of Mining and Meteorology
  • Notary public
  • Holder of a statutory office not specified in another item
  • Police officer
  • Sheriff or Sheriff’s officer
  • Teacher (full-time) at a school or tertiary education institution

The following people are authorised to certify documents outside Australia:

  • Justice of the Peace
  • Notary public
  • Australian Consular Officer or Australian Diplomatic Officer (within the meaning of the Consular Fees Act 1955)
  • Employee of the Commonwealth or the Australian Trade Commission who works outside Australia