Sustainability and Responsible Investing
APN Property Group is committed to sustainability and creating a positive environmental and social impact. This is reflected in our day to day business practices and within our responsible investment process.
We aim to deliver strong investment returns whilst protecting clients’ interests through contributing to a more sustainable and resilient financial system. This in turn supports sustainable economic growth and a thriving planet.
Committed to the environment
APN is committed to conducting its business ethically and sustainably, thereby minimising adverse environmental impacts.
We are committed to integrating the following sustainability initiatives into our business practices:
- Implementing strategies to purchase goods and services which have the least impact on the environment and/or are of value to the community.
- Reducing waste by adopting a reduce, reuse, recycle policy and providing bins to separate landfill from comingled and organic products.
- Improving operation efficiency by using online platforms, automating compliance and board reporting and improving on processes where possible.
- Enhancing APN’s sustainability culture by providing staff with training and information awareness regarding ESG issues.
- Incorporating climate change and environmental considerations into investment due diligence and management processes.
APN is committed to supporting our community and engaging in business in a responsible manner. We will not engage in any activities that have an adverse impact on human rights or local laws and customs.
APN actively supports programs and activities that help communities, this includes our partnership with the Property Industry Foundation (PIF) which seeks to support young people and eliminate youth homelessness.
We also support employees’ participation in fundraising events, employee engagement events, education opportunities and charitable donations.
ESG stands for Environmental Social and Governance and refers to the three key factors when measuring the sustainability and ethical impact of an investment in a business or company. APN defines Responsible Investing as an investment process that incorporates ESG factors into its day to day approach, in addition to the normal financial criteria.
Examples of ESG factors are detailed in the table below:
|Climate Change||Community Relations||Business Ethics|
|Waste & water management||Working Conditions||Corporate Governance|
|Greenhouse gas emissions||Health & Safety||Board diversity & structure|
|Overuse of resources||Employee Training||Risk Management|
Companies that invest in ESG programs have demonstrated that they can optimise operational performance, identify and mitigate risks and gain a competitive advantage in the industry.
As a manager of properties and property investments over the medium to long term, we believe that incorporating these ESG principles can lead to increased profitability through higher property values, tenant attraction and retention and improved return on investment.
APN is committing to responsible investment by:
- Adopting ESG in our day to day business activities and including ESG criteria in our policies and procedures
- Incorporate ESG issues into investment analysis and decision-making processes;
- Requiring ESG disclosures from the entities in which we invest
- Actively engaging with the entities in which we invest to improve sustainability outcomes
- Meeting or exceeding target returns on investment without compromising our company values
APN acknowledges that Climate Change poses a real and material risk to the property sector. With this in mind, we are committed to understanding our climate-related risks and opportunities and managing risks that are material to our business. APN is committed to implementing strategies to decarbonise our investments in line with the recommendations of the Paris Climate Agreement. Some of our key strategies include:
- Quantifying and reporting on our emissions footprint across our investments
- Identifying and quantifying opportunities to enhance environmental performance
- Maximising the roll out of Solar PV across our direct property investments and reduce our dependency on grid sourced energy
- Committing to reporting in line with the voluntary disclosure recommendations of the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD)
APN has committed to quantifying our emission impact and putting in place meaningful targets that will assist us in decarbonising our operations. To further demonstrate our commitment to climate action, we have joined like minded investors and asset managers in the quest to improve the environment and invest responsibly:
1. Property Council of Australia
2. The Investor Group on Climate Change
3. Responsible Investors Association AustralasiA
To view our Sustainability and Responsible Investing Policy please click here.